A simple, special diagnostic tool known as the Amsler grid can be of huge benefit to patients with the dry form of AMD. And the best part is that it is a free tool and can be used at home. Daily use of the Amsler grid can help the patient detect vision changes and then be able to follow-up with his or her eye care provider. People with the dry form of AMD usually experience a gradual loss of vision and may not recognize the loss of vision that they have experienced. By using the Amsler grid on a daily basis, patients can detect vision changes. To see how easy it is to use the Amsler grid, follow the instructions below using the Amsler grid here: Instructions:
- If you wear glasses, be sure to have those on and make sure the grid is 12 to 15 inches away from your face in good reading light.
- Cover one eye.
- With your uncovered eye, look directly at the center dot and stay focused on that.
- Note in your side vision if there are any blurry, wavy, dark or blank lines.
- Repeat these steps with your other eye.
- If you note any changes, make an appointment with your eye care provider.*