Have Questions? Call Us Toll Free (877) 880-5251

Healthy lifestyle lowers risk of AMD in women

Researchers affirmed the benefits of a healthy lifestyle in a recent study. Women who maintained healthy eating habits had 46% lower odds for developing early macular degeneration. Women who had a higher level of physical activity saw a 54% lower risk for developing early macular degeneration. A combination of healthy diet, physical activity and not smoking resulted in 71% lower risk for macular degeneration. Women between the ages of 50 and 79 were recruited for the Carotenoids in Age-Related Eye Disease Study (CAREDS). 2005 women were enrolled in the study. The women were asked about their total physical activity including any house or yard work. In addition, their dietary intake including eye supplements was evaluated as well as their history of smoking and alcohol consumption. Researchers say the results indicate that while the risk of macular degeneration can be hereditary, lifestyle habits play a significant role in the risk as well. People who adopt healthy habits may greatly reduce their chance of developing early macular degeneration.*   Elise Ervin Staff Writer

Search VisiVite