Have Questions? Call Us Toll Free (877) 880-5251

Parasitic infection may result from poor contact lens hygiene

Contact lens wearers should be sure to follow the proper care and cleaning instructions for their contacts that was given to them by their optometrists lest they pick up an unwanted protozoa known as Acanthamoeba. Eye doctors are issuing a warning regarding the miroorganism known as Acanthamoeba which is a nasty little parasite which can enter the eye by crawling through the cornea causing not only pain but potentially blindness as well. The parasite can be contracted via a dirty contact lens case or by rinsing lenses in an unsanitary solution such as tap, river or pond water. Back in 2009, the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention reported that the incidence of the amoeba in the United States is one to two cases for every million contact lens wearers amongst a reported 36 million contact lens wearers in the U.S. Eye care professionals often misdiagnose the condition and the current treatment available is not very effective. Treatment involves hospitalization and topical applications of a toxic substance to the eye. Severe infections can lead to replacing the cornea or blindness. The best way to avoid Acanthamoeba is to wear single-use contacts that are disposed of daily.

Search VisiVite