The AREDS2 results were published May 5, 2013 by the National Eye Institute in JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association.
VisiVite offers three formulas that are based upon the AREDS2 results, each with naturally-sourced Lutein and Zeaxanthin, vegetarian capsules, and no synthetic additives:
- VisiVite AREDS 2 PLUS+ Gold Formula - our best seller, contains more lutein and zeaxanthin than AREDS 2.
- VisiVite AREDS 2 Select Formula - a premium natural AREDS 2 formula
- VisiVite AREDS 2 White Formula - AREDS 2 without zinc and copper, shown by genetic testing to be valuable for many people at risk for macular degeneration or those have undergone genetic testing and been found to be most responsive to formulas without zinc
The publication of these results can be found here:
- A modified AREDS Formula with both Lutein and Zeaxanthin, but without beta-carotene, was 18% more effective than AREDS1.
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin absorption was improved when beta-carotene was removed from the formula.
- Beta carotene was again proven to increase lung cancer in former smokers.
- No significant decrease in benefit was found with 25 mg Zinc versus 80 mg.
- Standard Omega 3s with predominantly EPA were not found to be beneficial in Grade 3 and 4 macular degeneration patients.