The AREDS2 results were published May 5, 2013 by the National Eye Institute in JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association. The publication of these results can be found here:
- A modified AREDS Formula with both Lutein and Zeaxanthin, but without beta-carotene, was 18% more effective than AREDS1.
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin absorption was improved when beta-carotene was removed from the formula.
- Beta carotene was again proven to increase lung cancer in former smokers.
- No significant decrease in benefit was found with 25 mg Zinc versus 80 mg.
- Omega 3s were not found to be beneficial in Grade 3 and 4 macular degeneration patients.
Men who take an AREDS 2 supplement containing high doses of Vitamin E are advised to discuss with their doctor whether to also take a supplement that contains selenium, based on the results of the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial. That study found the following risk of prostate cancer in healthy man taking:
- Vitamin E 400 IU risk: 1.6 (higher risk)
- Selenium 200 mcg risk: 0.8 (lower risk)
- Vitamin E plus Selenium risk: 0.4 (much lower risk)
VisiVite AREDS2 Plus+ Gold Formula contains 400 IU Vitamin E and 200 mcg Selenium, just as found in that study, as well as the 6 ingredients used in AREDS 2, including Lutein, Zeaxanthin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc and Copper.
Compared with AREDS2, VisiVite AREDS2 Plus+ Gold Formula contains:
- 50% more Lutein (15 mg versus 10 mg)
- 138% more Zeaxanthin (4.75 mg versus 2 mg)
To read more about VisiVite AREDS2 PLUS+ Gold Formula, visit this page: